Feb 15, 2008
From the editor’s desk:-
Dear Do..Re..Me..Fa.. browzers,
I extend to you a hearty welcome to the first chord of this New Year and I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy, Prosperous and a spirit-filled year 2008! May the heavenly blessings be upon you and your family throughout this New Year.
What a terrific start for our beloved Konkani Music in this New Year! Konkani children around the globe are celebrating today, a historical event in the history of Konkani Language & Culture. Undoubtedly, January 27th 2008 became the Red-Letter Day for our beloved ‘Maibhas’ Konkani when the Konkani Music celebrated its glorious entry into the ‘Guinness Book of World Records!’. What a determination and what an amazing performance by the enthusiastic 44 singing groups! They consisted of over 1500 singers who sang over 600 great Konkani numbers non-stop for 40 long hours under the dynamic leadership of ‘Vishwa Konkani Kala Ratn’ Baab Eric Ozario, the Super Hero of one and the only Maand Sobhann! He has propelled the rocket of Konkani Music to the top of world challenging others to break its world record! At this great moment I wish to congratulate all the singers, musicians and al those who worked tirelessly on and behind the scene in making ‘Konkani Niranthari’ a historical one.
In the aura of this historical event illuminating the Konkan Skies studded with great music stars, I was trying to select a new years’ gift to you and I found a super star and a great singer. This star was born in a music family popularly known as ‘Sangeeth-Ghar’ in Mangalore. A multi-faceted personality with the talents of a great singer, he shined as a Konkani music star for the last four decades. He was one of the first singers in the ‘Konkan Kogul’ Wilfy’s group. That great number ‘Hene gelyari line.. thene gelyari line..’ presented by this singer around 3 decades back, is still echoing in my ears! This super star whom I am referring to is none other than Sri Denis Peris! I am sure you will really enjoy listening to this sweet chord of music.
Once again I wish to thank every one of you for taking your time in browsing this music column. See you then, next month, same portal and same column. Until then, bye!
Yours in Do..Re..Me..Fa..,
Gerry D’Mello, Bendur.
DENIS PERIS – A KONKANI SINGER OF TALENT AND REPUTE
Up in the sky, some stars shine brightly and continuously but others twinkle intermittently covered and hidden by the dark clouds. Sri Denis Peter Peris is a Konkani singer of second category. Though a singer of repute and talent, the clouds of financial constraints and exigencies of family life deprived him the time and opportunity for the exposure of his musical talent as he had to be away from his native land for work to Saudi Arabia for 21 years! Nonetheless his passion for Music and love for the Konkanni language still keep on spurring and urging Denis to contribute whatever he can in the field of Konkanni Music.
Childhood & Education :-
On 25th August 1945, in the Omzoor parish of Mangalore Diocese, Denis Peter Peris was born. He was one of the 5 children of late Bonaventure and late Angeline Peris. Denis is blessed with 2 brothers and 2 sisters. Bonaventure, the father of Denis, was a much fancied folk singer at marriage functions. So, his two worthy sons Denis and Melwyn Peris kept up the family tradition of Music by becoming singers of repute!
Denis, the little boy, had his academic studies in St. Aloysius High School and later in St. Aloysius Evening College where he graduated with a degree in Commerce. Eventually he worked for Aramco in Saudi Arabia for 21 years and took an early retirement at the age of 50 and is currently residing in Cordel Parish of Kulshekar, Mangalore, with his wife Monica Peris. He and Monica are blessed with 3 lovely daughters.
Denis and music :-
Denis was associated with Konkani Music right from his early childhood. Till the age of 12, Denis was brought up at Kadri, Bendore Parish, Mangalore. During that period he participated in Konkani Natak Sabha singing competitions. There the little boy Denis was very much influenced in singing by his paternal cousin late Valley Vas who was then a famous singer and dramatist. After the age of 12, Denis moved to Cordel Parish, Kulshekar, where his talents in singing and acting blossomed as they were exposed through CYM of the Parish. Mostly Denis was assigned to playback singing and to female roles in Konkani stage plays as mixed acting was not common at that time.
Denis Peris is very grateful to late Henry T. D’Souza who trained him in timing rhythm and pronunciation in singing. Late Valley Vas was also his role model. But Wilfy Rebimbus was the main person who exposed the real talents of Denis. Wilfy composed songs wholly suited for the voice and range of Denis. Presently Melwyn Peris, the brother of Denis, composes songs suitable for his voice!
Achievements in Music & Drama:-
When it was the appropriate time of his life to expose his talents, Denis was obliged to leave Mangalore and go abroad for his better financial future! Hence the achievements of Denis in the field if Music and Drama are very limited and modest:
1) Recognition of Denis as a good talented singer under late Henry T. D’Souza, then Wilfy Rebimbus and now his brother Melwyn Peris.
2) In one of the Cassettes of Wilfy Rebimbus and almost in all of the CDs and Cassettes of Melwyn Peris, Denis has his voice recorded.
3) Denis has written lyrics for Konkani and Tulu stage plays but with Hindi tunes.
4) During his vacations to India while working in Saudi Arabia for 21 years, Denis has sung often on the stage to the great cheers and appreciation of the crowd.
5) Denis is also a yodling singer, but his talent in this singing category is stifled due to lack of exposure.
6) He has also written lyrics to many stage play songs,
7) Denis has written 5 stage plays as well.
8) Occasionally he has also written mini stories to the periodicals.
9) Interestingly Denis has not kept a count of his achievements. He does not think it is necessary. But above all, even now in his sixties, Denis Peris does public singing, all in the interest of Music! People make him sing Wilfy’s numbers at functions and celebrations and the modest singer Denis readily obliges his fans!
1) Worked for Raknno Weekly as Manager for 8 years.
2) Active member of CYM till he left India for Saudi Arabia for work. Was also a President of CYM Mangalore area.
3) Served as ‘Gurkar’ for his Cordel Parish ward. Presently is the President of SVP of Cordel Church.
Denis Peris is a genuine lover of music without a desire for glamour and publicity for his talents. He is an ideal role-model for the Konkani speaking common man who is by nature fond of music and singing irrespective of his age!