From the editor’s desk:-
Dear Do..Re..Me..Fa.. browsers,
Again, it is my privilege to present this year’s first melodious musical chord to the valued browsers of ‘daijiworld.com’. After having a wonderful and quite memorable Christmas break here in Canada, I am back here again with this New Year’s first chord.
I wish to present to you a ‘Konkani singing Star’. This star has formed a solid nest in the hearts of Konkani music lovers. This singing star is none other than Konkanni’s ‘Dream Boy’ Rony D’Cunha – a precious gem and a down to earth personality. Singing flows through every one of his veins. Almost the same time last year, he was part of ‘Konkani Niranthari’ that created history in the Guiness book of World Records. For the last couple of years, he has taken a step back due to his only son’s ill-health. On your behalf, I wish and pray that his son may regain his health back and all joy and happiness reign in Rony’s household soon. It is my strong desire for Rony to return to the music arena in his full form in order to bring a broad smile on the faces of his innumerous fans.
Once again dear music lovers, I thank you for your interest and great support. I shall see you shortly with another melodious music chord. Until then, ciao
Gerry D’Mello, Bendur
Konkani's Dream Boy - RONY D’CUNHA
“Konkani songs may sound simple but they are very rich. The only thing is that they have to be rendered in the proper way with clear diction. Neither they should be anglicized nor eaten as a cotton candy or raw cashew!” These are the very words of Rony D’Cunha, the great music rendition master. Give him any song, he with his natural flair will improvise it and deliver it to the audience with a melodious, impeccable rendition! The moment the audience hears it there is no mistaking that it is their “Dream Boy” Rony who is singing it and everybody is happy, the Song Composer, the Music Director and the Audience
Early stage of Rony’s life:
Ronald Ferdinand D’Cunha was born on 24th September 1966 as the fourth boy child of (late) Alexander D’Cunha and Mrs.Celine D’Cunha in the Parish of Derebail, Mangalore. He had no sisters.
Ronald who was fondly called ‘Rony’ had his elementary schooling at St. Peter’s Primary Scholl, Derebail. Rest of his academic studies he pursued at St. Aloysius High School and College, Mangalore with a B.A. degree to his credit. Currently he works and resides in Kuwait with his spouse Jasmine D’Cunha and with a lovely son Jeswin D’Cunha.
Rony’s tryst with music:
Rony came from a music loving family! His father, grand-mother, uncles and aunts sang ‘Manddo’ and other contemporary Konkani songs when they met together for a feast or a wedding. Those family get-togethers with joyful songs and melodious music had a lasting effect on the tiny boy Rony and he used to eagerly look forward to join and enjoy them.
Yes, ‘the Big Brother was watching!’ Rony’s elder brother Gerry noticed Rony’s keen interest in music. Gerry encouraged Rony to participate in their Parish singing competitions. Rony won many prizes there! Gerry also arranged musical classes for Rony with his friend Raymond where Rony studied the rudiments of music and also learnt to play Harmonium. Then Rony went on to the music classes of the eminent music teacher Fr. Albuquerque at Roshni Nilaya, Jeppu. Meantime Rony joined St. Aloysius High School where his natural interest in music allured him to join the School Music Band and he started playing the Trumpet.
In the same School Music Band there was another student Band member called Anil Patrao, a boy from Rony’s Parish with a similar interest in Music, and with a similar family background. ‘Birds of a feather flock together.’ Rony and Anil became close friends and even started twosome musical ventures like Parish Carol Singing, participation in Konkani Natak Sabha annual singing competitions, Musical Nites, Bands and Audio Cassettes! Rony bagged a hat-trick in the solo singing category of Konkani Natak Sabha competition by winning first place trophy for 3 consecutive years! With Anil Patrao as his singing mate in duo category he won the first place for two continuous years followed by a second place in the third year!
Simultaneously during these years, Rony completed his junior Hindustani Music Course under the able guidance of Pandit Kamalakar Shet.
Rony - the accomplished stage singer:
At the age of 17 Rony made his full fledged participation and stage appearance in the 1st Patrao Nite! It was real boost to his music talents. Eric Ozario, the Composer of fame and a Konkani activist took notice of Rony’s talents and invited him to sing for Rang Tarang Nite at Ravindra Kalakshetra, Bangalore. The ambience and decor of the hall, the vast crowd and the mighty Orchestra had a lasting colossal effect on his teen age mind. Later, when Eric Ozario founded the Mandd Sobhan, Rony had the unique opportunity to sing for more than 75 of his shows all over India and the Gulf Countries and also to sing with him for Door Darshan India! Rony feels an immense gratitude to Eric for his support and guidance.
Invitations for Rony to sing followed from various quarters! He sang for the devotional cassettes for the Canara Communication Centre at Padua, Mangalore. Even Mike Simon invited Rony to sing for his maiden album in Mumbai! The Music Director was Enoch Daniels, a professional film music arranger. The posh Studio, the modern music techniques used by top class musicians overwhelmingly impressed Rony. He had to sing a solo line ‘Dream Boy…Dream Boy’ which he did with elegance. Besides he had to sing either seconds or parallel singing with others.
Rony’s childhood dream was to sing with ‘the Konkani Kogul’ Wilfy Rebimbus. This was fulfilled when Wilfy invited Rony to sing during the maiden presentation of ‘Dol-Fel-Chal’ at Don Bosco Hall, Mangalore. Rony sang the introductory solo song for two shows on the same day to the thunderous applause of the audience! Then on Rony’s association with Wilfy continued for 9 years singing for more than 40 of his shows and 12 albums, all over India and abroad!. In 1999 Rony moved to Kuwait for work and to live there, from where he is continuing his singing career.
Performances & Achievements:
- Rony has sung for all major as well as budding Konkani composers both Devotional and light music: Wilfy Rebimbus, Eric Ozario, Henry D’Souza, Lawrence Saldanha, Melwyn Peris, Claud D’Souza, Gratian D’Souza, Late P. H. Pinto ; Late Mick-Max, Mike Simon, Patrao Bros. Wilson Olivera, Elyar Thakode, Panchu Bantwal, Vincent D’Souza, Allan Muscat, Ozy Muscat, Juliet Muscat, Fr. Denis D’Sa, Fr. Clement Mascarenhas, Fr. Prashant, Fr. Ronie Serrao etc.
- Associations and Organizations like: Mandd-Sobann, Konkani Natak Sabha, Kalasampath, Mangalajyothi, Kuwait Canara Welfare Association, Tulu-Koota Kuwait, Daijiworld Dubai, KMMKC Dubai, Paradela UAE, K.C.O. Abu Dhabi, MCC Qatar, Konkan Talents Bahrain.
- Rony has participated in more than 175 Musical Shows besides the Band Music for Sweet Symphony & Phoenix
- He has sung for more than 75 albums
- He has been a play back singer for the movie ‘Bhogsanne.
- Rony has participated in the Parish Choir singing both in India & Kuwait.
- Trained children for singing competitions and carol singing.
- Produced an album ‘Amcho Manddo’ a remix of old traditional songs.
- Participated in Konkani Niranthari (Guinness Record Event) - in the month of January 2008 as a representative from Kuwait.
- Sang for 5 - 6 additional albums during his recent trips to India.
- 2-3 local shows in Kuwait with visiting artistes.
- Even when on vacation to India from Kuwait, Rony is sought after by the composers to sing for their albums!
Awards & Honours:
- Best singer award by Mandd Sobhan in 1999.
- Award of Appreciation by Tulu Koota, Kuwait, at ‘Tulu Parbah’ in 2002.
- Honours showered by Kuwait Canara Welfare Association in December 2002.
- Appreciation award by Karavali Konkans Association, Bahrain at ‘Dabazzo’ in 2006.
- Other singing competition prizes like Inter Parish and Inter College competitions.
- Best Actor award by Kala-sampath.
- Best actor II at National Konkani Drama Competitions held at TMA Pai Foundation, Manipal.
- "Kuwait Konkans" falicitated on the 23rd May 2008
Future plans & Message:
Rony’s future plan is to train budding singers in the technicalities involved in singing especially in Konkani Singing
His message to his admirers is that everybody is endowed with some talents, discover it, develop it, grow it and reach out to the lives of other people!