Trump, Netanyahu differ over Iran strategy amid push for fresh peace talks


Daijiworld Media Network - Washington

Washington, May 21: US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are reportedly divided over the future course of action in the ongoing Iran conflict, with Trump favouring diplomacy while Netanyahu is pushing for renewed military strikes against Tehran.

According to media reports, the two leaders held a tense hour-long phone conversation during which Netanyahu urged the resumption of airstrikes on Iran, arguing that further attacks were necessary to weaken Tehran’s military and strategic infrastructure.

However, Trump reportedly insisted on giving diplomacy another opportunity before escalating military action. The US President is said to believe that a negotiated settlement with Iran remains possible, though he also conveyed that military options remain on the table if talks fail.

An Axios report claimed the heated exchange left Netanyahu deeply frustrated, with one US official reportedly remarking that “Bibi’s hair was on fire after the call.”

During the discussion, Trump allegedly informed Netanyahu that mediators including Qatar and Pakistan were working on a proposed “letter of intent” aimed at formally ending the conflict.

The framework would reportedly open a 30-day negotiation window focusing on Iran’s nuclear programme and regional security issues, including the Strait of Hormuz.

Israeli officials, however, reportedly expressed scepticism over the diplomatic initiative, with Netanyahu said to have argued that delaying planned strikes against Iran would be a strategic mistake.

Despite the reported disagreement behind closed doors, Trump publicly projected unity, telling reporters that Netanyahu “will do whatever I want him to do” regarding Iran, while also describing their relationship as strong.

“The only question is, do we go and finish it up, or are they gonna be signing a document. Let’s see what happens,” Trump said while speaking at the Coast Guard Academy.

The latest developments come after Trump earlier this week halted a planned US military operation against Iran, reportedly at the request of Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Reports suggest regional mediators — including Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt — are actively working on a revised peace proposal to bridge differences between Washington and Tehran.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry has meanwhile confirmed that discussions with the United States are continuing based on Tehran’s “14-point proposal.” It also said Pakistan’s Interior Minister Ishaq Dar was involved in mediation efforts.

Iran has reportedly demanded an end to US actions against Iranian shipping and the release of frozen Iranian funds as part of any agreement, while also insisting that Israel halt its military operations in Lebanon.

Despite ongoing diplomatic efforts, uncertainty remains over whether Tehran will accept the latest draft proposal or alter its negotiating position significantly.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Trump, Netanyahu differ over Iran strategy amid push for fresh peace talks



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.