Daijiworld Media Network - Edmonton
Edmonton, Aug 22: Two men were injured after a man armed with a screwdriver entered the Nanaksar Gurdwara temple in Edmonton, Canada, and allegedly attacked them during morning prayers on Friday, police said.
The incident took place at around 5 am local time at the sprawling Nanaksar Gurdwara complex in northeast Edmonton. A 27-year-old man was taken into custody following the attack, CBC News reported.
Edmonton Police Service Acting Inspector Eric Stewart said police received a report of a man walking in traffic shortly before officers were called to the gurdwara.

The suspect then entered the place of worship and attempted to access the prayer room before allegedly stabbing two men with a screwdriver.
“Quick acting witnesses” intervened and detained the man until police arrived, Stewart said.
The two victims, aged 75 and 51, were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The suspect was also injured and transported to hospital.
Police have not disclosed a possible motive for the attack. Stewart said the EPS Hate Crimes Unit was investigating whether the incident was motivated by hate.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned the attack at the Nanaksar Gurdwara, describing it as “appalling” and expressing solidarity with the injured men and the wider community affected.
Carney said no one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship and thanked the Edmonton Police Service for its swift response.
Stewart said charges were pending against the suspect, who is known to police and has a significant history of violence.
Police learned that the man had been released from a federal institution on Thursday after serving a sentence for aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer.
The suspect was required to report to a designated halfway house in Edmonton but had failed to do so.
Police are now investigating how he came to be near the gurdwara instead of being at his designated accommodation.
Stewart said determining how the suspect reached the area and why he was not at the halfway house would form part of the ongoing investigation.
Police have not released the suspect’s name as charges have not yet been laid.