Daijiworld Media Network - London
London, Aug 23: A small power plant in the United Kingdom was forced to shut down for four days following a cyberattack allegedly linked to Iran, in what has been described as the first known successful cyberattack by Iran-linked hackers to take a British power-generating facility offline.
The attack reportedly took place last month and was uncovered as concerns grew over cyber threats from Iran amid the escalating conflict in West Asia. The incident was first reported by The Telegraph, which described it as an unprecedented attack and potentially the most successful cyber operation of its kind against UK energy infrastructure.
British authorities have declined to identify the affected facility, citing security concerns. Officials have stressed, however, that it was a relatively small-scale generator and that its shutdown did not threaten the wider electricity grid or Britain's overall energy supply. The UK's Department for Energy Security and Net Zero said the incident had no impact on the wider energy system.

The facility was reportedly offline for four days while staff worked to restore its operations. Following the incident, the British government briefed senior executives of power companies and issued guidance to businesses on strengthening their cyber defences.
The attack was also reported to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), which operates under Britain's GCHQ intelligence agency. The NCSC has previously warned UK organisations to review their cyber-security measures because of the changing threat environment linked to the conflict in the Middle East. It said Iranian state and Iran-linked cyber actors retain the capability to conduct cyber operations.
According to reports, British officials are examining whether the attack was intended less to cause widespread disruption and more to demonstrate that hackers linked to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps could penetrate British systems and interfere with sensitive infrastructure. The incident is significant because there had previously been no publicly known case of a cyberattack successfully bringing a UK power-generating facility offline.
The timing of the incident has also attracted attention. The attack reportedly occurred around the same period as a series of cyberattacks targeting water infrastructure in the United States. The attacks affected water and wastewater facilities across 12 states, with US officials and sources examining possible links to Iran.
The US incidents included attacks affecting utilities in states such as Minnesota, Michigan, Georgia, South Dakota and New Jersey. Reports said the first incidents emerged in Minnesota in late July, with US authorities describing those responsible as malicious cyber actors while officials examined suspected Iranian links.
Iran has long been regarded as having significant cyber capabilities, and Western governments have repeatedly warned that Iranian state-linked groups could target critical infrastructure. The UK has also faced cyber threats attributed to other hostile states, including Russia, China and North Korea.
The NCSC has urged organisations to remain alert to possible cyber compromises, particularly companies with assets, operations or supply chains connected to regions affected by the Middle East conflict.
Despite the seriousness of the incident, UK officials have maintained that the country's energy infrastructure remains resilient. The government has emphasised that the affected facility was small and that the attack did not create a risk to the national power supply.
The incident nevertheless highlights the growing concern among Western governments that cyberattacks could increasingly be used alongside conventional military and economic pressure. The UK is continuing to work with energy companies and security agencies to strengthen protections for critical infrastructure against state-linked cyber threats.