New Delhi, Sep 25 (IANS): At least 14 Indians were killed in the stampede that took place in Saudi Arabia's Mina city on Thursday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Friday.
"Our Consul General Jeddah reports loss of 14 Indian lives in stampede. We have 13 injured in hospital," tweeted Sushma Swaraj who is currently in the US.
Her another tweet said: "The exact number will be known after confirmation by Saudi authorities."
At least 717 people have been confirmed dead as of now in the Thursday's stampede, the worst tragedy to hit the world's holiest Muslim pilgrimage in 25 years.
Meanwhile, Indian volunteers have reached Makkah in Saudi Arabia to help the authorities. The identification of the bodies is still on, officials said.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted that "Indian volunteers have reached in large numbers and are assisting the local authorities" at Makkah.
Over 800 pilgrims were injured in the disaster that took place on the first day of Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of the Sacrifice.
She said "Our embassy officials have reported that the process of identification of bodies is on. This will take at least 24 hours."
"After this Saudi authorities will disclose their identity with photographs."
She also said that two Indian officials have reached the site at Makkah to aid Indian pilgrims.
Bibi Jaan, an elderly resident of Hyderabad, had died and an unidentified man from Lakshadweep had been injured in the tragedy.
Thursday's stampede took place barely two weeks after a massive crane fell in Makkah's Grand Mosque, killing over 100 people and injuring over 200. Eleven of the dead were Indians.