Home Ministry official detained


New Delhi, May 15 (PTI) : A Home Ministry official, who had disappeared after being summoned by the CBI four days back, was today detained by the agency in connection with a case against him of allegedly issuing FCRA notices arbitrarily to several NGOs for financial gains.

Anand Joshi, an Under Secretary in the ministry, was being questioned by the sleuths of Special Crime division of the CBI.

Joshi, who had disappeared on Wednesday morning from his home in Indrapuram in Ghaziabad, was picked up from Tilak Nagar area of West Delhi and taken to the CBI headquarters for questioning.

CBI Spokesperson Devpreet Singh said the CBI was tracking the accused and "based on information that he was in West Delhi area around 5 PM he was detained". No decision has yet been taken on whether to arrest him.

"He has been brought to CBI headquater and is being qestioned about the allegations against him," she said.

The case was slapped against Joshi and some other unnamed persons for allegedly indulging in corrupt practices and arbitrarily issuing notices to several NGOs, registered under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA), which were receiving foreign contributions, including activist Teesta Setalvad's Sabrang Trust.

Joshi has rejected the charge and instead accused his seniors of pressuring him to give a clean chit to NGOs. In a note which he had left before leaving home, Joshi claimed he had been subjected to “mental harassment” in recent months.

The matter came to light after files pertaining to alleged FCRA violations by two NGOs run by Setalvad went missing from the Home Ministry. The files were traced and restored to the FCRA division but CBI was asked to investigate the matter.

It was noticed that the files had gone missing when the Home Ministry took a decision to cancel FCRA registration of one of Setalvad's NGOs, Sabrang Trust, sources said.

Sabrang Trust's licence was suspended on September 9, 2015 by MHA for alleged multiple violations of FCRA rules, including misuse of funds for personal benefit of trustees.

When Home Ministry officials found that the files had gone missing, they conducted an inquiry and identified Joshi as the official who had taken away the files. He was summoned and the files were restored.

An Under Secretary is not allowed to take away files, only officials of the rank of Joint Secretary and above are allowed to take the files home. It is a serious violation, the CBI official said.

 

  

Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Vincent Rodrigues, Frazer Town,B'lore

    Mon, May 16 2016

    Good detention of Home Ministry official which may help in reaping important facts from him'

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse


Leave a Comment

Title: Home Ministry official detained



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.