Seven soldiers killed in Yemen clashes


Aden, June 5 (IANS): At least seven soldiers were killed as clashes flared up between government forces and Shia Houthi group in Yemen's city of Taiz on Sunday, an official said.

Up to 18 soldiers have been wounded so far in the ongoing fight in Wazieyah district, Xinhua news agency quoted the military official as saying.

The government forces on Saturday advanced against the Shia Houthi fighters and their allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The Saudi-backed forces recaptured six areas and approached the district centre, which was still under the rebels' control, the official said.

There was no immediate report of Houthi and Saleh casualties.

The joint Houthi-Saleh forces have ruled much of Taiz since they extended to the city under complete siege in September 2014.

Both warring sides were in almost shaky cease-fire since April 10 to facilitate ongoing peace talks in Kuwait backed by the United Nations to end more than a year of civil war.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Seven soldiers killed in Yemen clashes



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.