Karkala, Aug 26: The Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of NMAM Institute of Technology, Nitte conducted a one-day workshop on 'Importance of National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)' on August 25 to bring awareness among the staff members of the institution.
The NIRF outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country with five main parameters.
Dr K Balaveera Reddy, former vice chancellor, VTU, Belagavi was the keynote speaker for the programme. Addressing the NIRF workshop, Dr Reddy mentioned, 'Rankings at National and International level of educational institutions have a lot of importance in recent times as it has become a deciding factor to know the quality of higher education as well as the reputation of any institution. NIRF aims to identify and recognize top-performing institutions, promote competitiveness among institutions and assist prospective students in their decision-making process when selecting institutions.'
Further, Dr Balaveera Reddy provided the following suggestions to improve the performance of an educational institute aspiring for NIRF Rankings:
1) Promote qualitative research in the institute on a large scale.
2) Increase the ratio of outside the state, international students in the Institute.
3) Placement and the higher education listing of alumni should be given due priority by the institute in the form of ‘Alumni Tracing’
4) Bring high quality journals in every field of study with the financial assistance from the management
5) Promote quality teaching by integrating educational technology.
6) Put in place processes to facilitate granting the patent of the invention.
7) Improve the reputation of the institutions of higher education by publicizing using local newspapers.
8) The category RP has major weightage in the NIRF scores which decide the final ranking in NIRF.
N Vinaya Hegde, chancellor, Nitte (Deemed to be University) presided over the function.
Dr Niranjan N Chiplunkar, principal, NMAMIT, welcomed the gathering. Dr I Ramesh Mithanthaya, vice principal and dean (Academics) expressed his gratitude to all the participants from various departments and sections for making the seminar a grand success. The seminar was attended by deans, directors, HoD's and faculty members of the institute.