Body of Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss recovered amid intensified Gaza offensive


Daijiworld Media Network - Gaza

Gaza, Aug 30: The body of Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss has been recovered in a military operation in the Gaza Strip, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Friday. Weiss, 56, was killed during Hamas’s attack in southern Israel on 7 October 2023.

The remains of a second, unnamed hostage were also recovered, the IDF said. Weiss had died defending Kibbutz Beeri on the day of the attack, and his body had been taken to Gaza. His wife, Shiri, and daughter, Noga, who were also taken hostage, were released during a temporary ceasefire in November 2023. Israeli President Isaac Herzog praised Weiss’s bravery and the resilience of his family.

Following the announcement, 48 hostages remain in Gaza, with Israel believing that 20 are still alive. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces growing domestic pressure to secure the release of all hostages, with protests demanding an end to the war. However, Israel is pressing ahead with its plan to take control of Gaza City and ultimately the entire Strip, arguing that defeating Hamas is key to freeing the hostages.

Western nations and the UN have warned that an offensive in Gaza City, home to over a million people, could have catastrophic consequences. The IDF’s Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee said strikes would intensify on the outskirts of the city, with a planned pause in military action not applying to the area.

Hamas has warned that hostages in Gaza City could face the same risks as fighters during the planned operation. “We will take care of the prisoners the best we can, and they will be with our fighters in the combat and confrontation zones, subjected to the same risks and the same living conditions,” said a spokesperson for Hamas’s armed wing.

The Gaza health ministry reported that Israeli attacks killed 59 people on Friday. Footage from Reuters showed bodies lined up outside Shifa hospital as grieving relatives gathered nearby. Additional casualties include five people, including two children, who died from malnutrition, bringing the total malnutrition deaths to 322.

The UN has confirmed famine conditions in parts of Gaza for the first time, citing severe food insecurity. Since 14 August, around 60,000 people have been displaced within Gaza City, with over 90% of homes damaged or destroyed and essential services like healthcare, water, and sanitation in collapse. Residents continue to flee ahead of the expected Israeli operation in the city.

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Body of Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss recovered amid intensified Gaza offensive



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.