Measles outbreak in Bangladesh worsens, death toll rises to 512


Daijiworld Media Network - Dhaka

Dhaka, May 24: Bangladesh is witnessing a rapidly escalating measles outbreak, with at least 13 additional deaths reported in the past 24 hours, pushing the combined total of confirmed and suspected fatalities to 512, according to local media reports.

The country’s Directorate General of Health Services (Directorate General of Health Services Bangladesh) said that among the latest fatalities, one death was confirmed as measles, while the remaining 12 were individuals who showed measles-like symptoms.

Citing data reported by The Daily Star, officials said confirmed deaths have now reached 86, while suspected deaths stand at 426.

Health authorities also recorded 165 new confirmed cases in a single day, taking the total number of confirmed infections to 8,494.

In addition, 1,967 suspected new cases were reported in the same 24-hour period, bringing the overall suspected caseload to 62,507.

Amid the worsening situation, the UNICEF has said it had repeatedly warned Bangladesh’s previous interim administration about potential vaccine shortages that could lead to a large-scale outbreak.

UNICEF representative to Bangladesh Rana Flowers stated at a press briefing in Dhaka that the agency had sent multiple letters and held several meetings with health ministry officials between 2024 and 2026, flagging concerns over insufficient vaccine supplies.

She said the organisation had warned as early as 2024 that delays in vaccine procurement could result in a serious public health crisis, but timely action was not taken.

According to her, senior UNICEF officials also raised the issue during high-level meetings with Bangladesh authorities, including discussions involving the foreign ministry during visits last year.

UNICEF has indicated that it will provide documentation to assist an ongoing investigation launched by the current government into the outbreak and its handling.

Health officials continue to monitor the situation as cases rise, with concerns growing over the spread among vulnerable populations, particularly children.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Measles outbreak in Bangladesh worsens, death toll rises to 512



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.