- With the adoption of this technology, the city’s cyber world will be wire-free and also provide quick access to its users
Mumbai, Jul 24: Mumbaiites live a fast life and in order to survive in this city one needs to constantly keep updating with the changing times. From adopting age-old methods of living to modern technologies like the Internet and broadband services, the city has always ensured to live with the times.
Cable net is one such technology that the ISP’s have been providing the city. However, with the overgrowth of Mumbaiites wanting to stay in touch with the times, the speed that one could access the Internet has reduced. This has made many Mumbaiites complain. But as older methods get outdated newer ones are devised. Then how could the Internet Service Providers (ISP) remain far behind?
The city, this August, will adopt Wi Fi Technology. This technology will permit Internet users to surf the Internet wireless, at a minimum speed of 256 kbps on their laptops, personal computers, mobiles PDAs. This service will be provided to Internet users through radio frequency.
What is Wi Fi Technology?
Wi Fi Technology is a substitute to wired networking. Here, the data gets converted into radio frequency signals and is transmitted through the air. This technology uses radio frequencies like the radio, cordless phones, wireless handsets and blue tooth use, to connect with the internet. It works on high frequencies - 2400MHz, 5800MHz. And after adopting this technology the speed has increased from 11 Mbps to 108 Mbps.
Wi Fi can be used:
One can have access to hundreds of movies and TV shows at the click of a button any where in your house. Also through Wi Fi, one can play music in any part of the house. Video conferencing and printing of photos can also be done easily.
It can increase efficiency by facilitating data sharing, printing and other Wi Fi applications such as PDA automated inventory control and VLANs.
In hospitality segments
Through PDA a customer can directly order food by clicking on the PDA. The food will reach the customer from the kitchen of the hotel. In the medical field too, doctors will be able to avail all the details of their patients from anywhere and can immediately consult.
Through Wi Fi inventory control management, industrial machinery efficiency and plant performance can be viewed, remotely.
Advantages of Wi Fi
* Wi Fi enables high-speed which permits the downloading of data at a minimum speed of 256kbps to 1-2 mbps.
* Irrespective of the number of users, the speed remains unaffected.
* Wi Fi technology can be used anytime and anywhere
* Wi Fi relieves you from the hassles of wires.
* You can connect computers, printers and Wi Fi enabled cell phones into a single communication network without any wires.
* Wiring and networking expenses are nullified. In the case of shifting their base, one will not have to spend a single penny on networking or wall jack installation.
* You can connect to the web from anywhere through a laptop, PDA or mobile using advanced technology.
* You can retrieve files or presentations from the corporate network or check mails from anywhere without plugging into your computer.
* It also integrates voice service so one can communicate with the other instantly without any call charges.