The Emirates Arthritis Foundation is hosting three free seminars for Arthritis Patients and their spouses in September. The Seminars are based on the program developed by the Canadian Arthritis Foundation and will be led by a qualified occupational therapist.
The Seminars will take place at the Fairmont on the 5th, 12th and 19th (consecutive Tuesdays) of September from 7:00 - 8:30. Food and drinks will be provided.
Topics in detail:
SESSION 1 - by (Kathryn Ronalds)
Welcome & Introduction
- Group Purpose (educate & empower)
- Introduction to Topics
- General Definition of Support Groups
- What do participants want out of ASMP group?
- Group Rules re: etiquette
General Discussion on Arthritis
- General statistics
- Different types
- Disease process
Managing Daily Activities
- Fighting fatigue
- Joint protection principles
- Finding your own solutions
- Support devices
- Emotional impact of Arthritis
- Arthritis & Cycle of Grief
- Coping Strategies
SESSION 2- by (Kathryn Ronalds, Physiotherapist and Nutritionist)
- Basic Exercise Guidelines
- Specific Recommended Arthritis Exercises & Demonstration
- Link between Exercise and Mobility (use it or lose it)
- Making Exercise Part of Your Life
- Can what you eat cause arthritis?
- Will diet help arthritis?
- Healthy Eating and Nutrition
- Need for Weight Control (cycle explanation)
- Provide Quick Fact Sheet
SESSION 3- by (Kathryn Ronalds, rheumatologists from various hospitals/clinics will facilitate discussion)
- Types of Pain (acute vs. chronic)
- Pain Cycle
- Stress and Pain
- Pain Management (medication & non-medication)
- How is rheumatoid arthritis treated?
- What are the different types of rheumatology medications?
- What are some of the latest treatments for rheumatoid arthritis?
• Mini Survey
• Next Steps
PLACES ARE LIMITED. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE EMAIL CAROL AT email@example.com OR CALL 04 3300444 AND LEAVE A MESSAGE CONFIRMING ATTENDANCE.