Two die, 5 seriously injured in Bengaluru apartment complex fire


Bengaluru, Sep 21 (IANS): In a fire that broke out in an apartment in Bengaluru in Karnataka on Tuesday two women were burnt to death and five others suffered serious burn injuries. Three apartments were totally gutted.

Fire brigade personnel are continuing search operations in the apartment and the exact number of casualties, injuries and damage to property will be known only once the search operation is over.

The incident took place in the Ashrith Aspire Apartment of Devarachikkanahalli near Bommanahalli in Bengaluru. The deceased were identified as Bhagyarekha (59) and her mother Lakshmidevi (82). The bodies have been shifted to the mortuary. An LPG cylinder blast is suspected to be the reason for the tragedy.

Amar Kumar Pande, ADGP Fire Force who visited the spot, said that the rescue operation is being hampered as there is still thick smoke engulfing the apartment. The fire brigade and emergency services personnel have managed to contain the fire from spreading. The preliminary investigations suggest that the fire broke out after the LPG cylinder blast but it is yet to be confirmed.

The incident was reported around 4.30 p.m. The fire tenders immediately rushed to the spot and additional fire tenders were also sent from other fire brigade stations. Sixteen officers from the fire brigade and emergency services were pressed into operation. As of now reports say that two persons died in the tragedy and a search operation is still on, he said.

He added that an aerial platform ladder, which is used in difficult situations, has been pressed into service. The evening traffic congestion slowed them down a bit in reaching the site, he stated.

Eyewitnesses said they saw the fire engulfing the apartment and they saw an old woman in the balcony burnt to death before the fire tenders reached the spot.

Satish Reddy, BJP MLA, stated that he had informed Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai about the incident and he is also reaching the spot. The police have said that the incident took place because of a cylinder blast. This is a tragedy, this should not have happened, he said.

There are 72 flats in the apartment complex and the entire complex has been evacuated.

 

 

 

 

 

  

Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Af,,,, Mangaluru

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    If gas cylinder blast govt and manufacturing company is responsible, what ever the the condition a cylinder must not blast, some safety valve has to be made mandatory along with gas instalation and cylinder refill booking.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [12] Reply Report Abuse

  • G R PRABHUJI, Mangalore

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Reports say that it may be cylinder blast. The are many cases that cylinder is blasting because Mobile using in the kitchen. It has become a fashion for ladies talking non stop while cooking in the kitchens. This should make awareness to everyone.

    DisAgree [3] Agree [20] Reply Report Abuse

  • Rems, Mangaluru

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Just blaming mobiles and women. Which taliban book told you that cylinders blast because of mobile ?

    DisAgree [9] Agree [5] Reply Report Abuse

  • Anil Shetty, Mangalore

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Your claim here is based on a myth, there is absolutely no scientific basis for the myth that a cell phone can cause or trigger a gas explosion, for that to happen a spark or intense heat has to be generated, neither of which is possible with cell phones. This is a myth that has been perpetuated even in fuel stations.

    DisAgree [2] Agree [4] Reply Report Abuse

  • Ravi, Udyavara

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Hai Prabhuji ...tumhari gyaan laajawab....Your place is really not here...

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • Sunil, Mangalore

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    When the builder hands over the apartment the balconies are open. Then for security reasons we install iron grills which is illegal. So who is to blame.

    DisAgree [2] Agree [13] Reply Report Abuse

  • Sunil, Mangalore

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    When the builder hands over the apartment the balconies are open. Then for security reasons we install iron grills which is illegal. So who is to blame.

    DisAgree [2] Agree [4] Reply Report Abuse

  • sri_elder, Karkala

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Emergency exit door should be there in every apartment and should be easy to open from inside. It should be designed in such a way that thieves should not be able to get entry from Emergency exit. Occupants should have multiple options for easy escape

    DisAgree [1] Agree [11] Reply Report Abuse

  • Vishnu Vardhan, Bajpe

    Tue, Sep 21 2021

    Builders go on delaying the construction. No penalty is paid. No permanent power connection and the residents are allowed to stay in the buildings without power supply. Builders dont pay penalty also. No proper checking

    DisAgree [7] Agree [16] Reply Report Abuse

  • Allen, Mangaluru

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    It was a cooking gas cylinder explosion! Balcony of the appartment was completely blocked with iron grills. We cannot keep blaming the Builders for each and everything!

    DisAgree [2] Agree [17] Reply Report Abuse

  • Vishnu Vardhan, Bajpe

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    Allen for your kind information. This apartment has violated building bye-laws and still managed to obtain the Occupancy Certificate as the builder is a relative of the local MLA

    DisAgree [3] Agree [8] Reply Report Abuse

  • Jossey Saldanha, Thane

    Tue, Sep 21 2021

    We plead to the Almighty for help ...

    DisAgree [3] Agree [18] Reply Report Abuse

  • Nelson Bennis, Mangalore

    Wed, Sep 22 2021

    All the people who gathered to live incident ?but no one use their mind to bring crane or Jcb to to pul out the steel grill'so atleast one life will to be saved???i saw in dubai in highrise building they have so many insruments'even metal cutter wl save entire life of so many lives!

    DisAgree Agree [5] Reply Report Abuse


Leave a Comment

Title: Two die, 5 seriously injured in Bengaluru apartment complex fire



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.


Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image