Daijiworld Media Network - Beijing
Beijing, Feb 16: An explosion and fire at a fireworks shop in eastern China has left eight people dead and two others with minor burn injuries ahead of the Lunar New Year, authorities said.
The blast occurred on Sunday afternoon in a village in Donghai county, Jiangsu province. According to a statement issued by the county government, the explosion was triggered after a resident improperly set off fireworks near the shop. Further details on the sequence of events were not disclosed.

The incident comes just days before the Lunar New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, which falls on Tuesday and marks the beginning of the Year of the Horse in the Chinese zodiac.
Setting off firecrackers at midnight on Lunar New Year’s Eve is a long-standing tradition in China. However, many cities have imposed restrictions or outright bans on fireworks in recent years, partly due to concerns over air pollution. Some local governments eased those restrictions last year, leading to a resurgence in fireworks sales and use.
Following Sunday’s explosion, China’s Ministry of Emergency Management urged regional authorities to tighten supervision over the production, transportation, sale and use of fireworks to prevent similar accidents.
In a statement, the ministry said the testing of fireworks and firecrackers near shops should be strictly prohibited and called on local governments to identify and eliminate safety loopholes to ensure a “safe, auspicious and happy Spring Festival” for the public.