Daijiworld Media Network - Mumbai
Mumbai, Feb 18: The Maharashtra government has withdrawn the five per cent reservation for Muslims in jobs and education, triggering sharp criticism from the opposition, which accused the BJP-led Mahayuti administration of being “anti-minority.”
A Government Resolution (GR) was issued on Tuesday after the earlier ordinance granting five per cent quota lapsed and an interim stay was in place. The previous Congress-NCP government had issued an ordinance in 2014 granting 16 per cent reservation to Marathas and five per cent to Muslims under the Special Backward Category (A).

As per the new GR, all earlier decisions and the ordinance related to the five per cent reservation in government and semi-government jobs, as well as educational institutions for socially and educationally backward Muslims included in the Special Backward Category, have been cancelled. The order also states that earlier decisions and circulars from 2014 have been revoked and that caste and non-creamy layer certificates under the Special Backward Category will no longer be issued to Muslims.
Mumbai Congress president Varsha Gaikwad termed the move “harmful to democracy,” alleging that it would push the Muslim community away from the mainstream.
“Instead of strengthening the process, the government has cancelled earlier procedures citing interim stay orders of the High Court and lapse of the ordinance. On one hand, the BJP speaks of ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas,’ and on the other hand it blocks the path to securing necessary documents for reservation,” she said.
Gaikwad further said that the Bombay High Court had upheld the five per cent reservation in education for Muslims, but the state government did not fully implement it. She also sought clarity on the stand of ruling allies Shiv Sena and the Nationalist Congress Party.
Former state Congress working committee member Naseem Khan described the decision as “extremely wrong,” alleging that it would deprive minorities of opportunities to join the mainstream of development.
He said the Congress-NCP government in 2014 had issued the ordinance granting the quota. “The subsequent government did not take the process forward, and even after interim relief for five per cent educational reservation was granted, its implementation was not ensured,” he alleged.
Khan added that although the quota was implemented during the 2014-15 academic year, it was not continued despite repeated assurances. He further claimed that several welfare schemes for minorities launched by the earlier Congress-led government had been discontinued, calling the present dispensation “anti-minority.”
Minorities include not only Muslims but also Jains, Sikhs and Parsis, he said, urging the government to ensure equal development opportunities for all communities.
NCP (SP) spokesperson Clyde Crasto also criticised the decision, alleging that it showed the BJP does not value Muslim leaders within its party and allies.