Daijiworld Media Network - Washington
Washington, Apr 2: US President Donald Trump is reportedly considering an Iranian proposal for indirect nuclear talks while simultaneously increasing military presence in the Middle East, Axios reported on Wednesday, citing sources.
According to unidentified US officials, the Trump administration prefers direct negotiations, believing they have a higher chance of success. However, it is also open to the indirect format proposed by Iran, with Oman serving as a mediator.

Last week, Trump issued a strong warning to Tehran, stating that Iran would face military action if it continued developing nuclear weapons. “If they don’t make a deal, there will be bombing,” he told NBC News. He also threatened ‘secondary tariffs’ to pressure Iran.
In response, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian rejected direct negotiations, accusing the US of breaching past agreements. “We don’t avoid talks; it’s the breach of promises that has caused issues for us so far,” Pezeshkian said in a televised address. “They must prove that they can build trust.”
Analysts have warned that Iran may be just weeks away from producing a deliverable nuclear weapon, although Tehran denies any such intent.
Trump had previously withdrawn the US from the 2015 nuclear deal in 2018, citing concerns over its effectiveness. However, in his second term, he has expressed willingness to negotiate a new agreement aimed at reducing tensions and avoiding military confrontation.