Daijiworld Media Network - Patna
Patna, Aug 18: The Bihar government has told the Supreme Court that the use of an AK-47 rifle during student protests in Siwan did not cause any injuries to protesters, while acknowledging that the weapon was meant for special operations and not for law-and-order situations.
The submission was made on Monday through a counter-affidavit filed before the Supreme Court in response to Public Interest Litigations alleging police brutality against student protesters during last month's protests over the NEET paper leak. The state denied using disproportionate force against the protesters.
According to the Bihar government, four rounds were fired into the air by a constable who became trapped in the crowd, but nobody was injured in the incident.

The government further stated that near Hathi Chowk, an Assistant Sub-Inspector fired two rounds from a 9 mm pistol to disperse the mob. Three protesters suffered minor firearm injuries in the incident.
The state clarified that the three injured protesters were not hit by the AK-47 and were not present at the location where the rifle was used. A ballistic examination is underway to determine the type of weapon involved, as well as the distance and angle of firing, among other aspects.
The affidavit acknowledged that the AK-47 is a platoon-level weapon intended for use during special operations and not in routine law-and-order situations. It said the Director General of Police had issued instructions governing its use.
The constable who fired the AK-47 has been suspended for “undesired” conduct and departmental proceedings have been initiated against him, the state government said.
The Bihar government also alleged that protesters damaged public property and that several police personnel involved in maintaining law and order were deliberately attacked by “anti-social elements”.
According to the affidavit, protests turned violent in several parts of Bihar, including Patna, Jehanabad, Chapra, Bhagalpur, Sitamarhi, Aurangabad, Katihar, Kishanganj and Siwan. The state said 157 police personnel and seven public servants were injured during the unrest.
The government acknowledged that police used tear gas and water cannons to control the situation, resulting in injuries to some protesters.
In compliance with directions issued by the Supreme Court, the state said it had instructed the Additional Director General of Police to preserve all video footage and other records relating to the protests.
The government also said personal information and digital data collected from protesters would not be made public or shared on social media “for the time being”.
The affidavit stated that details of protesters, particularly students, would not be published. It further said Bihar Police was not taking coercive action against students who had no criminal antecedents.
The state also said all persons below 18 years of age who were arrested or detained in connection with the protests and had no criminal antecedents had been released on a simple bond executed by them or their family members.