Nirbhaya case: Court dismisses Tihar's plea seeking fresh warrant for execution


New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS): A Delhi court on Friday dismissed a petition filed by Tihar jail authorities seeking issuance of fresh death warrants against the four death row convicts in the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case, observing that it was "bereft of merit".

"The applications are bereft of merit and are dismissed. The state is permitted to file applications as and when required. The matter is disposed of for being premature," Additional Sessions Judge Dharmendra Rana observed.

The judge further said that it was "criminally sinful to condemn the convicts when the law permits them to live".

"Admittedly the Delhi High Court has permitted the convicts to exercise their legal remedies within one week of the said order. I concur with the learned Amicus of Mukesh that death warrants cannot be executed on the basis of conjectures," Rana said.

During the course of proceedings on Friday, victim's counsel Jitendra Kumar Jha requested the court to issue fresh death warrants against the convicts, claiming that none of their petitions is pending before the court of law or any other constitutional authority.

"The convicts are resting to tactics to unnecessarily delay the hanging and earn brownie points," said another counsel representing the victim's family.

Vrinda Grover, who represented convict Mukesh, vehemently opposed the contentions and said that the application deserved to be dismissed.

The jail authorities had moved the Patiala House Court on Thursday, a day after President Ram Nath Kovind dismissed the mercy petition of one of the convicts, Akshay.

Besides Akshay, two other convicts, namely Mukesh and Vinay, have exhausted their legal remedies.

The fourth convict, Pawan, has not yet availed the remedy of curative and mercy petitions, which will be the last judicial and constitutional resort for him, respectively.

The case pertains to the gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old girl in the national capital in December 2012.

The execution of the four convicts, originally scheduled for January 22, was postponed to February 1. But it was deferred again on January 31 after Mukesh filed an application before a Delhi court contending that other convicts are yet to avail the legal remedies and they cannot be hanged separately.

 

  

Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Rita, Germany

    Sat, Feb 08 2020

    We can be sure that these criminals will be never get hanged.One by one plea for fresh applications and delay further till one day all will be out .sad .Poor Nirbhayas parents will never see these goons get convicted.

    DisAgree Agree [1] Reply Report Abuse

  • Evans C. Sumitra, Udupi/ New York, USA.

    Fri, Feb 07 2020

    The way the things are going on in this Nirbhaya's case, I think the four rapists/killers will never be hanged to death. We won't be surprised that those four idiots will out and roaming freely on the streets. Thanks to the court for being so kind to them. But I feel sorry for Nirbhaya's mother, father, and all who wanted to see those four convicts hanged to death. So far their long wait has been shattered.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [15] Reply Report Abuse

  • Jossey Saldanha, Mumbai

    Fri, Feb 07 2020

    I'm glad our Courts realized that these four Rapists are only doing Time-Pass ...

    DisAgree [1] Agree [16] Reply Report Abuse

  • Avinash Shetty, Mangalore

    Fri, Feb 07 2020

    "criminally sinful to condemn the convicts when the law permits them to live" - What law is this? This law needs to changed!

    DisAgree [1] Agree [21] Reply Report Abuse


Leave a Comment

Title: Nirbhaya case: Court dismisses Tihar's plea seeking fresh warrant for execution



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.