Daijiworld Media Network – Mangaluru
Mangaluru, Apr 5: Anwar Manipaddy, the former chairman of the Karnataka State Minorities Commission and a key figure in exposing the massive Waqf land scam, has alleged that he is receiving death threats from international sources following the recent passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament.
Manipaddy, a former BJP leader, said the threats, coming via internet-based calls and satellite communication, have intensified over the past few days, particularly since Thursday. He has lodged a complaint with Mangaluru police commissioner Anupam Agarwal, stating that the calls originate from multiple locations and are made in languages including Hindi, Marathi, English, and other North Indian tongues.

“One of the callers, speaking in English, told me bluntly that I would not live long, and that my own community would finish me off,” Manipaddy told reporters on Friday. “They claimed that all political leaders are united against me.”
Despite the threats, Manipaddy said he harbours no animosity towards his community. While he had previously declined police security, he acknowledged the need for caution now, adding, “These threats resumed soon after the Bill was passed. In today’s world, taking someone’s life has, unfortunately, become too easy.”
Manipaddy revealed that even friends, family, and colleagues in law enforcement have urged him to stay indoors and avoid visitors.
The passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill has brought Manipaddy a sense of closure. “It was the happiest moment of my life,” he said, referring to the parliamentary nod to reforms he has championed for over a decade. “The Bill is practically a reflection of my report. I presented over 7,000 pages of documentation exposing widespread encroachment and misuse of Waqf properties.”
He noted that although the Lokayukta had upheld his findings and the media had backed his revelations, little action was taken at the time. Now, with the Bill in place, he believes accountability may finally follow.
Manipaddy’s 2012 report to then chief minister D V Sadananda Gowda alleged that about 27,000 acres of Waqf land in Karnataka had been illegally allocated or misappropriated. According to him, Waqf land in India once stood at 18 lac acres in 1913 but has now dwindled to just 1.80 lac acres, with Karnataka alone losing 29,000 acres out of a total 54,000.
He said the new legislation could expose several high-ranking officials and politicians across party lines, particularly from the Congress, as the government moves to reclaim illegally occupied land.
“Half of the Muslims who once opposed this Bill now support it,” he claimed, adding that even religious leaders have acknowledged his efforts. “This shift in sentiment reflects the real change happening in the country.”
Manipaddy cited examples of Waqf land encroachments in Bengaluru, including 602 acres in Bellahalli, 500 acres along Mysuru Road, and the Hopcoms property on Lalbagh Road. He said educational institutions, including medical and engineering colleges, have also been built on such lands.
“All encroached Waqf properties must be recovered. Those responsible are nothing short of thieves and must face the consequences under the new law,” he asserted.
Manipaddy remains a central figure in the exposé of what has been termed one of India’s biggest land scams, estimated to be worth nearly Rs 2 lac crore.