Ship hit by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz


Daijiworld Media Network - Muscat

Muscat, Aug 18: A ship was struck by an unidentified projectile early Tuesday while attempting to sail out of the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Oman, according to the British military's UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO).

The projectile damaged the vessel's engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, UKMTO said, citing a report from the company's security office. It did not immediately provide details about the vessel, its cargo or the condition of the affected crew member.

The Omani Coast Guard was assisting other members of the crew, while authorities began investigating the incident. No environmental damage was reported following the attack.

The incident highlights the continuing risks faced by commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway through which roughly one-fifth of the world's traded oil supplies passed before the current conflict.

Iran effectively closed the strait after Israel and the United States launched attacks against the country on February 28. The United States has also imposed a blockade on Iranian shipping traffic through the waterway.

Concerns have increased over potential oil spills into the Persian Gulf from vessels damaged while attempting to cross the strait. However, no such spill was reported in Tuesday's incident.

The latest attack came as Iran continued separate negotiations with Oman over arrangements for managing commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran said on Monday that details of a joint statement were being finalised.

Talks between the United States and Iran have meanwhile remained stalled. US President Donald Trump reportedly threatened Oman with military action if it interfered with US efforts to reach a peace agreement with Tehran.

Against the backdrop of the escalating tensions, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Trump during a telephone conversation late Monday to continue pursuing a diplomatic solution to the conflict with Iran.

According to a statement from the Turkish presidential communications office, Erdogan stressed the importance of making maximum use of diplomacy and expressed hope that negotiations between Washington and Tehran would continue. Turkey also reaffirmed its support for efforts aimed at achieving peace.

Erdogan also raised concerns about intensified Israeli actions targeting Palestinians while efforts are underway to move towards the second phase of the Gaza agreement.

Turkey, which borders Iran and is a NATO member, earlier this month signed a joint defence agreement with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan under which an armed attack against any one of the three countries would be regarded as an attack against all.

Trump welcomed the agreement, saying it demonstrated greater regional cooperation and an effort by Middle Eastern countries to strengthen their ability to defend themselves.

During the call, Erdogan described the agreement as part of a broader effort to promote regional stability and security.

 

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Ship hit by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.