Daijiworld Media Network – Mangaluru (EP)
Mangaluru, Sep 17: Canara Organization for Development and Peace (CODP) held the annual general body meeting of heads of social service non-government organizations (NGO) under the umbrella of Bhandavya on August 27, 2021. Bhandavya was formed on September 22, 2005 when 17 social service organizations came together. It has been serving the acute poor in the society, helping the weak and sick, providing facilities to the HIV and cancer infected and mentally retarded. It intends to discard the caste system, unite house workers, and protect culture and tradition in the district.
Dr Peter Paul Saldanha, bishop of Mangaluru presided over the meeting. Thirteen people including Bhandavya office bearers, members and appointed members were present. The Bishop said that Bhandavya has reached its goal of providing food, shelter, education and health facilities to the poorest.
Bhandavya board president Fr Swamy Siby, vice president Jacinta and secretary were present. The meeting concluded after a vote of the thanks by the secretary.
The following are the programmes of Bhandavya of the year 2020-21:
• Total self-help groups 1104 (12,917) members
• Internal deposits Rs 8,88,30,860
• Internal loan Rs 20,41,09,850
• Distribution of Covid food worth Rs 20,66,199 to 90,212 members
• Counselling to 1,475 children
• Medical treatment to 43,888 outpatients and 10,328 in patients
• Shelter provided to 128 families
• 2,970 medicinal saplings distributed
• 4,491 members have received Rs 2,17,87,333 from 70 government welfare schemes.