SC setback won’t affect India trade deal, says Trump


Daijiworld Media Network – Washington

Washington, Feb 21: US President Donald Trump has said that the proposed interim trade deal with India will remain intact despite a recent ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States striking down his sweeping tariff measures.

Addressing reporters at the White House, Trump asserted that “nothing changes” in the understanding reached between Washington and New Delhi. He maintained that under the new framework, India would pay tariffs while the United States would not, calling it a “flip” from earlier arrangements. He also described his relationship with Prime Minister Narendra Modi as “great”.

The remarks came after the Supreme Court, in a 6-3 verdict, ruled that Trump had exceeded his authority in imposing wide-ranging global tariffs, declaring them illegal. The ruling is seen as a setback to his economic agenda. However, Trump insisted the judgment would have no impact on the India deal and said all trade agreements were “on”, though they may be executed in a different manner.

According to the proposed interim arrangement announced earlier this month, the US would lower tariffs on Indian goods to 18 per cent from 50 per cent, while India would offer zero tariffs on select American products. Trump had also issued an executive order removing 25 per cent punitive tariffs imposed on India over its purchases of Russian oil, citing New Delhi’s commitment to scale back energy imports from Moscow and increase purchases of American energy.

Within hours of the court ruling, Trump signed a proclamation imposing a temporary 10 per cent import duty for 150 days, stating that it would help rebalance US trade relationships. The measure is set to take effect from February 24.

Trump also reiterated his claim that he had previously helped defuse tensions between India and Pakistan by threatening steep tariffs, including a proposed 200 per cent levy if hostilities continued.

While formal confirmation from the Indian government is awaited, Washington has indicated that discussions on the interim trade deal are progressing and that the framework remains in place despite the legal setback.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: SC setback won’t affect India trade deal, says Trump



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.