Daijiworld Media Network - Thane
Thane, May 19: A 27-year-old labourer was allegedly assaulted and kidnapped from a long-distance train in Maharashtra’s Thane district by a man posing as a Railway Protection Force (RPF) officer, police said on Tuesday.
The accused later allegedly demanded Rs 10,000 from the victim’s family for his release.
The incident took place on Sunday aboard the Hatia Superfast Express travelling from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Mumbai to Hatia in Jharkhand. Police said efforts are underway to trace both the victim and the accused.

According to police, the victim, identified as Sunil Narayan Saw, was travelling with friends in the general compartment when an unidentified man wearing a green shirt and black trousers approached him claiming to be an RPF officer.
The accused allegedly accused Saw of teasing a girl on the train, assaulted him and forcibly deboarded him at Kasara railway station on the pretext of taking him to a police station.
An official said the victim’s cousin later received a phone call from the accused using Saw’s mobile phone. The caller allegedly demanded a “fine” of Rs 10,000 through UPI for the victim’s release and threatened serious consequences if the money was not paid.
To verify the number, the complainant initially transferred Re 1, which was reportedly received by the caller. The accused subsequently made repeated calls demanding payment.
Suspecting that his cousin had been abducted, the complainant approached the Asangaon railway police station.
Police have registered a case under Sections 140(2) relating to kidnapping for ransom and 204 pertaining to impersonating a public servant under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
Senior Inspector Sachin More of Asangaon railway police said multiple teams have been formed to search for the kidnapped man.
Officials said no ransom amount has been paid so far by the victim’s family.