Daijiworld Media Network - Doha
Doha, May 19: Qatar on Tuesday said negotiations between the United States and Iran require more time, a day after US President Donald Trump said Gulf nations had urged him to delay further military attacks to allow diplomacy a chance.
Qatari foreign ministry spokesperson Majed al-Ansari said Doha supported ongoing diplomatic efforts mediated by Pakistan and believed negotiations should continue.
“We are supportive of the diplomatic effort by Pakistan that has shown seriousness in bringing parties together and finding a solution, and we do believe it needs more time,” al-Ansari said during a press conference.

Trump had earlier stated that leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates requested him to postpone a planned military strike on Iran as “serious negotiations” were underway.
The US president said he remained hopeful of reaching an agreement that would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, while warning that military action could resume if talks failed.
The latest diplomatic push comes amid continuing regional tensions following the conflict that erupted earlier this year between the US, Israel and Iran.
Qatar said its priority was to prevent further escalation in the region and protect civilians from the impact of a wider conflict.