Recipes - Allu Dentto Curry
2 - 3 stems of Allu (Colocasia)
2 Dentte ( Stems of green leafy veg.)
½ scraped coconut
8 red chillies (long & short mixed)
3 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp cumin (Jeera)
½ tsp. mustard
1 tsp. turmeric powder
5 flakes garlic
2 Ambade (Optional)
Small ball of tamarind ( If Ambade is used, then very little tamarind)
Salt according to taste
1 cup coconut milk ( Optional)
For Seasoning : 2 tbsp.oil, 1 tsp. mustard, 3 flakes crushed garlic, 8 to 10 curry leaves.
1. Clean the Allu & Dente very well by removing the outer skin. Cut allu into small pieces and Dente into 2" pieces and cook them with salt and little water. May also pressure cook them for about 2 whistles.
2. In a pan dry roast together the chillies, coriander, cumin (jeera), mustard.
3. Dry roast together onion and garlic flakes.
4. Grind all these roasted ingredients with fresh coconut , tamarind and turmeric powder.
5. Add this ground masala along with crushed ambade to the boiled vegetables and bring to boil.
6. Adjust salt according to taste.
7. Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add mustard, when they splutter add crushed garlic and curry leaves, fry till they turn brown and then pour over the curry. And keep it covered.
8. Coconut milk can be added before seasoning if required.
(Note: Allu-Dentto can be substituted with white pumpkin & sprouted green gram (Moog)).