Arab, Islamic nations condemn Israel’s rejection of Gaza plan


Daijiworld Media Network - Riyadh

Riyadh, Aug 17: Saudi Arabia, along with seven other Arab and Islamic countries, on Sunday condemned Israel's rejection of US President Donald Trump's plan for Gaza, warning that the stance could undermine international efforts to end the war in the Palestinian territory.

In a joint statement, the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkiye, Qatar and the UAE denounced Israel's stated opposition to a roadmap for implementing Trump's broader Gaza plan, which was endorsed through UN Security Council Resolution 2803.

The ministers also condemned Israel's rejection of Palestinian statehood, saying the position could obstruct implementation of the US-proposed plan and wider efforts to achieve a just and lasting peace in Gaza and the rest of the occupied Palestinian territory.

They said Israel would bear responsibility for obstructing efforts to end the conflict, including any deterioration in conditions on the ground or delays in humanitarian assistance, security arrangements and reconstruction.

The roadmap, which Palestinian factions have accepted, was developed through mediation involving Egypt, Qatar, Turkiye and the United States, along with the High Representative for Gaza and the Peace Council.

It calls for armed groups, including Hamas, to disarm, an Israeli military withdrawal, deployment of an international stabilisation force, transfer of administrative authority to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, and reconstruction of the territory.

The foreign ministers warned that Israel's rejection could derail Trump's efforts to end the war and establish conditions for a lasting settlement. They urged continued US engagement to ensure Israel fulfils its commitments under the plan and to prevent further obstruction.

The ministers called for the roadmap to be implemented immediately and fully, saying it was necessary to address Gaza's severe humanitarian crisis, restore security and stability and begin reconstruction and recovery.

The statement also reaffirmed support for a two-state solution, saying lasting peace could be achieved only through an independent and sovereign Palestinian state along the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital, in accordance with international law and relevant UN resolutions.

The ministers rejected "any attempt" to prevent or deny Palestinian statehood, including through unilateral actions, arguing that such measures would undermine prospects for peace, security and stability in the region.

They also urged all parties to support the Peace Council's role in implementing the roadmap and moving towards the second phase of Trump's plan.

The ministers called on the council, with active US support and participation, to take immediate and concrete steps within its mandate to protect the plan and prevent any party from blocking its implementation.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected Trump's 15-point Gaza plan on Aug 9, saying Israel would not withdraw its forces until Hamas was "genuinely" disarmed.

Trump's Board of Peace said last month that it had reached an agreement on the "complete disarmament" of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza. Hamas, however, said it would surrender its heavy weapons only if Israel ended "all forms of aggression" and withdrew its forces from the territory.

On Monday, Trump's son-in-law and aide Jared Kushner joined meetings in Egypt aimed at advancing the Board of Peace plan. Axios, citing two people familiar with the talks, reported that Kushner met Hamas leaders to press them to fulfil their disarmament commitment.

Kushner is also expected to travel to Israel on Monday to meet Netanyahu and discuss what one source described as the "corresponding steps" Israel would need to take.

 

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Arab, Islamic nations condemn Israel’s rejection of Gaza plan



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.