Mumbai: Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal, action over online threats


Daijiworld Media Network – Mumbai

Mumbai, Aug 20: Model Riya Ahir, who gained attention after stopping a police van during a Gen Z-led protest in Mumbai, has approached the police seeking withdrawal of the FIR registered against her and action against those allegedly sending abusive and threatening messages on social media.

Ahir, accompanied by a delegation of the Mumbai Youth Congress, met Mumbai Police Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Manoj Sharma at the Police Commissioner's Office. The delegation raised concerns over the FIR as well as the alleged online harassment faced by Ahir following the protest.

Youth Congress leaders said Sharma assured them that the process to withdraw the FIR would be initiated soon. Police are also expected to investigate the social media accounts and individuals allegedly responsible for sending threats to Ahir.

Speaking after the meeting, Ahir said she had been subjected to abusive comments and threats since the protest. She said she had earlier approached the police and the Maharashtra Police cyber cell over the matter, but alleged that no concrete action had been taken so far.

Ahir said that while many people supported and appreciated her actions during the protest, others targeted her online. She maintained that people were free to disagree with her views but should not degrade her, damage her reputation or attack her dignity.

The Youth Congress also sought action against social media accounts allegedly involved in threatening young women who participated in the protests. Party leaders questioned the delay in withdrawing FIRs against students involved in the demonstration and demanded immediate steps against those responsible for online harassment.

Ahir came into the spotlight after a photograph of her standing in front of a police van carrying detained protesters during a rain-soaked demonstration at Shivaji Park on July 22 went viral. She has since become one of the prominent faces associated with the Mumbai protests.

Ahir has maintained that the protest was not linked to any political party, religion or individual and was a movement intended for everyone.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Mumbai: Riya Ahir seeks FIR withdrawal, action over online threats



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.