Daijiworld Media Network - Dhaka
Dhaka, May 23: Bangladesh is facing a rapidly escalating measles outbreak, with 11 children dying in the 24 hours leading up to 8 am on Friday, according to local media reports citing the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
Of the latest fatalities, nine deaths are suspected to be measles-related, while two have been confirmed, taking the overall death toll since March 15 to 499.
According to DGHS data reported by United News of Bangladesh (UNB), the outbreak continues to spread, with 1,261 new suspected cases recorded in the last 24 hours alone. This has pushed the total number of suspected cases to 60,540.

In the same period, 54 additional confirmed cases were reported, bringing the total confirmed infections to 8,329.
Health authorities said that since March 15, more than 47,500 suspected patients have been hospitalised, while over 43,000 have recovered so far.
The outbreak has raised serious concerns about vaccine availability and immunisation gaps in the country.
The United Nations Children’s Fund UNICEF said it had repeatedly warned Bangladeshi authorities about potential vaccine shortages that could lead to a large-scale health crisis.
UNICEF representative to Bangladesh Rana Flowers said the agency had sent multiple letters and held several meetings with health officials over the past two years, urging timely vaccine procurement and stronger immunisation planning.
She stated that warnings were issued as early as 2024, continuing into 2025 and 2026, highlighting concerns that delayed vaccine orders could trigger an outbreak of this scale.
UNICEF also said that its senior officials had raised the issue with Bangladesh’s foreign ministry during high-level discussions last year, and the agency is prepared to support ongoing investigations into the outbreak.
As the crisis deepens, public health experts warn that urgent vaccination drives, improved supply management and rapid containment measures will be critical to controlling further spread of the disease.