FIFA COO Kevin Lamour exits after challenging Infantino’s investment plan


Daijiworld Media Network - Zurich

Zurich, Aug 18: FIFA has confirmed the departure of Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, just weeks after he publicly challenged FIFA president Gianni Infantino over a controversial proposal to bring private investment into the organisation’s tournament business.

FIFA said Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation ended on August 17, although it did not provide a reason for his departure. Sky News, however, reported that staff were informed that Lamour had been sacked.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on August 17,” a FIFA spokesperson said.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter,” FIFA added.

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership in November 2024 and had previously worked closely with Infantino during his rise to the FIFA presidency. He became one of the organisation’s most senior figures to publicly oppose Infantino’s proposed commercial restructuring.

The proposal involved establishing a subsidiary to manage major tournament rights and seeking up to $4.2 billion from private investors in return for a minority stake.

Lamour had questioned the proposal and argued that FIFA employees had not been adequately informed about the plan. He also raised concerns about whether the restructuring was in the wider interests of football and acknowledged that speaking publicly could cost him his position.

His criticism came around the same time as the resignation of senior Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro, who also opposed the investment proposal.

Infantino eventually withdrew the plan after facing growing opposition from football stakeholders.

The circumstances surrounding Lamour’s departure have not been officially explained. FIFA has confirmed only that its professional relationship with Lamour has ended and has not stated that his criticism of the investment proposal was responsible for his exit.

Lamour’s departure comes as Infantino faces increasing pressure over his leadership ahead of FIFA’s presidential election scheduled for March 2027. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have called for an independent review of his conduct, adding to growing opposition surrounding the FIFA president.

Infantino’s eligibility to seek another term has also come under scrutiny. Critics argue that he has already reached FIFA’s three-term limit, while Infantino maintains that his initial 2016-19 period should not count because he completed an interrupted mandate.

 

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: FIFA COO Kevin Lamour exits after challenging Infantino’s investment plan



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.