Daijiworld Media Network - Washington
Washington, May 21: US President Donald Trump has said that negotiations between the United States and Iran are entering their “final stages,” while warning that Washington could take tougher action if an agreement is not reached soon.
Speaking to reporters, Trump said his administration was prepared to wait a few more days for what he described as the “right answer” from Tehran.
“We’re in the final stages with Iran. We’ll see what happens,” Trump said, adding that the outcome would either be a peace agreement or “some things that are a little bit nasty.”

The US President also stated that he was not rushing to finalise any deal and dismissed the idea of accepting a limited agreement focused only on reopening the strategically important Strait of Hormuz.
“We’re going to give this one shot,” he said, indicating that Washington was seeking a broader and more comprehensive understanding rather than a partial compromise.
Trump further said he had held a “very good” telephone conversation earlier in the day with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose government has emerged as one of the key mediators in ongoing US-Iran diplomatic efforts.
The remarks came amid escalating tensions between Tehran, Washington and Israel following months of military confrontation and stalled negotiations.
On Wednesday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned that any renewed military aggression by the United States or Israel would expand the conflict beyond West Asia.
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi also issued a warning on social media, saying any return to war with Iran would bring “many more surprises” for the United States, while referring to reports of American military losses during recent hostilities.
The current tensions stem from joint US-Israeli attacks launched on Tehran and other Iranian cities on February 28, which reportedly killed senior Iranian military figures and civilians, including Iran’s then Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Iran responded with missile and drone strikes targeting US and Israeli positions across the Middle East. A ceasefire was eventually reached on April 8, followed by peace talks held in Islamabad on April 11 and 12, though the negotiations ended without a breakthrough.
In recent days, both US and Israeli officials have renewed warnings of possible military action if diplomacy fails. Trump had earlier claimed that Iranian leaders were eager to secure a deal and cautioned that fresh military strikes could occur within days if negotiations collapse.