Daijiworld Media Network - Tehran
Tehran, Feb 17: Iran on Monday said the United States’s stance on Tehran’s nuclear programme had “moved towards a more realistic one”, a day ahead of the second round of indirect talks between the two sides in Geneva.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi arrived in Geneva for the new round of negotiations, even as the powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) began military drills in the strategically crucial Strait of Hormuz — a vital route through which nearly 20 per cent of global oil and gas supplies transit.

The renewed engagement follows the recent resumption of indirect talks mediated by Oman. Negotiations had earlier collapsed after Israel launched surprise strikes on Iranian targets, triggering a 12-day conflict that briefly drew in Washington, which carried out strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei, quoted by the official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), said: “A cautious assessment is that, from the discussions that have taken place in Muscat to date, at least what we have been told is that the US position on the Iranian nuclear issue has moved towards a more realistic one.”
The latest talks, again mediated by Oman, are scheduled to be held in Switzerland on Tuesday.
Washington has previously indicated that it seeks to broaden the scope of discussions beyond the nuclear file to include Iran’s ballistic missile programme and its support for armed groups in the region.
Meanwhile, the IRGC’s war games in the Strait of Hormuz are aimed at preparing for “potential security and military threats”, Iranian state television reported. Iranian officials have repeatedly warned that they could block the strategic waterway if tensions escalate further.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Monday that Washington remains hopeful of reaching an agreement. “We’re hopeful there’s a deal. The president always prefers peaceful outcomes and negotiated outcomes,” he told reporters.
Araghchi also confirmed that he met Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), in Geneva for what he described on X as a “deep technical discussion”. Grossi later termed the meeting “in-depth” ahead of Tuesday’s “important negotiations”.
The developments signal cautious diplomatic movement even as military signalling continues in parallel, underscoring the fragile and high-stakes nature of the renewed dialogue.