Daijiworld Media Network - Lisbon
Lisbon, May 19: Cristiano Ronaldo is set to make a record sixth FIFA World Cup appearance after being named in Portugal national football team’s squad for the 2026 tournament by coach Roberto Martínez on Tuesday.
Martínez also paid an emotional tribute to late Portuguese forward Diogo Jota, who died in a car accident in Spain last year, by symbolically including him as a “plus one forever” in the squad announcement.
“The final list includes 27 names plus one,” Martínez said while unveiling the squad.

“To lose Diogo Jota was an unforgettable and very difficult moment. But the next day it became a responsibility for all of us to fight for Diogo Jota’s dream and for the example he was in our national team. The spirit, the strength and the example of Diogo Jota — he will be the plus one forever,” he added.
The 41-year-old Ronaldo will make what is expected to be his final attempt at winning football’s biggest prize. He is already the all-time leader in international appearances with 226 caps and has scored 143 goals for Portugal. He also remains the only player to score in five different FIFA World Cups.
Martínez praised Ronaldo’s leadership and influence within the squad.
“When we talk about Cristiano Ronaldo, we talk about two players. We talk about the icon of world football and we talk about the player, our captain, who has the same demands as the other players,” Martínez said.
“Our captain is an example. We want him to continue with the same level of responsibility and leadership inside the dressing room,” he added.
Ronaldo could become the first male footballer, alongside Lionel Messi, to feature in six FIFA World Cups.
The squad also includes Ronaldo’s Al Nassr teammate João Félix, along with Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Nuno Mendes, Vitinha, João Neves and Gonçalo Ramos.
Although FIFA permits only 26 players in the final squad, Martínez included goalkeeper Ricardo Velho as a standby option in case of injury to the main goalkeepers.
Portugal have been placed in Group K alongside Colombia national football team, Uzbekistan national football team and Congo national football team. Portugal will open their campaign against Congo on June 17 in Houston.
Martínez said Portugal can be considered title contenders but not outright favourites.
“The World Cup is not only about playing well or having talent. There are many challenges. I think only teams that have already won the World Cup can be favourites,” he said.
“Considering the talent and spirit of our group, we can dream and be candidates,” he added.
Portugal recently won the 2025 UEFA Nations League after defeating Germany national football team in the semifinals and Spain national football team in the final.
The team will begin preparations on June 1 and play warm-up matches against Chile national football team on June 6 and Nigeria national football team on June 10 before travelling to the United States on June 12.