Daijiworld Media Network – Panaji
Panaji, May 20: Excavation work along a 6-km stretch of the Old Goa-Pilar Road for replacement of an ageing water pipeline has turned the busy route hazardous for motorists and pedestrians, even as pre-monsoon activity intensifies across the region.
The digging work, being carried out from Azossim through Mandur and Neura to Pilar over the past few weeks, has triggered heavy dust pollution in nearby villages. While residents welcomed the long-pending pipeline replacement project, many criticised the timing of the work, saying chances of proper road restoration before the onset of monsoon now appear slim.

The existing pipeline, which supplies water to parts of St Andre constituency and surrounding areas, had reportedly developed frequent leakages and bursts over the years, often disrupting water supply.
Excavation along nearly half of the road, with work alternating between both sides of the carriageway, has severely damaged the surface and disrupted vehicular movement on the major district road connecting NH-66 with the Panaji-Ponda highway.
Locals pointed out that the Azossim-Pilar stretch had earlier been dug up for underground power cabling works a few years ago, after which only one side of the damaged road was resurfaced, leaving uneven road levels.
“Now the digging has created three dangerous levels — the recently tarred stretch, the lower untarred portion, and the newly excavated trench-like section,” local activist Ramrao Wagh said.
With pre-monsoon showers increasing in recent days, residents fear that fresh tarring work may not be completed in time.
“The chances appear bleak unless the work is taken up on a war footing and there are some dry days,” Wagh added.
Several villagers also blamed the Public Works Department for not taking up tarring of completed portions during the summer months.
“At least a major stretch of the 11-km Old Goa-Pilar road would have remained motorable,” a local resident said.